Thursday, January 22, 2009

Battle at Bull Run

The events at Manassas, Virginia on the 21st of July represent the beginning of land battles to come between our Union and the Confederacy. Both sides were untested until now, and their level of preparation for the battle showed in the military blunders made by both sides. Some are even saying I have a responsibility in this matter, due to the editorial published in my paper urging us to rush on towards Richmond. This editorial was not written by me, and I do not advocate its impatience; however, I am willing to take the blame if that is what this Union needs. “If I am needed as a military scapegoat for all the military blunders of the last month, so be it! Individuals must die that the Nation may live. If I can serve her best in that capacity, I do not shrink from the ordeal.”

The Life of Horace Greeley by James Parton

6 comments:

  1. It is your publications of dishonesty that portray our President and cause in the worst possible light! Had President Lincoln not been pressured by the public, then he would not have given the order to march on Manassas, giving us more time to prepare our men. Why was our President being pressured by the public? It was because the newspapers fooled the public into thinking that action must be taken if we are to win. You portrayed our inactivity as not enough towards the cause. There is very little that disgusts me more than a hypocritical "patriot."

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very noble, Mr. Greeley. We all must make sacrifices at a time like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She may have a point. I was a bit rough in my reply and I must apologize. That you are willing to take the blame, speaks well of your character Mr. Greeley. Though I do not condone what you have done, that does not present me with the right to speak to you in such a way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Greeley, let me assure you that even if you do become a military scapegoat, there will be others who will be, possibly unfairly, blamed for the outcome of this battle. However, I still applaud you for your voluntary sacrifice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr. Sherman, you do not take into account that the editorial blamed for encouraging such haste was not written by myself. People should be allowed to express their views, and my paper provides an opportunity for just that. However, that does not mean it is a view that I hold personally.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your bravery for the Union is outstanding. Your sacrifices are needed at a time like this. I applaud your effort to help succeed in this war. I hope your services are paid back to you ten-fold.

    ReplyDelete