Friday, January 23, 2009

The Bloodiest Day in American History

The battle at Antietam Creek shows this war to be even more violent than expected. That those who were once fellow countrymen could pit themselves against each other in such a truly brutal manner is a tragedy. I may have been seen as a warmonger before, but my opinion is changing. It is a shame that we had to resort to war. I am not by any means suggesting that we give up and end the war. I am merely re-evaluating my views.

Horace Greeley, the Editor by Francis Nicoll Zabriskie

5 comments:

  1. War is not as honorable and glorious than you imagined it would be, is it? 'Tis a brutal way to resolve a conflict but it is the only way that we can reunite this country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes this battle was quite tragic for both sides.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This battle was fought by very brave men. American will not be torn apart forever, I assure you. The Union will stand together and never give up. One day we will all be reunited once again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had to sever ties with several family members, and I refuse to mourn the deaths of some, because they sided with the Confederacy. I agree in saying that it is a shame that this war happened, but now that it has, we cannot look back and regret the past.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 23,000 lives is certainly an excessive amount of life lost. However, the cause is certainly worth it.

    ReplyDelete