Tuesday, January 13, 2009

United States Presidential Election, 1860

Although I was originally in support of Edward Bates of the Whig party, I am certainly glad I turned my support to Abraham Lincoln in time to vote for him. An original supporter of the Whig party, I joined the Republican party because they share my views on slavery. As a strong supporter of free-soil, I do not believe that slavery should be spread any further. I have high hopes that President-elect Lincoln will be able to restrict the atrocity that is slavery, while still preserving the Union as is his goal.

http://www.tulane.edu/~latner/Greeley.html

3 comments:

  1. President-Elect Licoln does not plan to restrict slavery, though. I quite agree that slavery has no place in our country, but Mr. Lincoln's highest aim is to preserve the Union. Because of this, he will allow states to choose whether slavery is or is not tolerated.

    I believe that is in the nation's best interest if we are to keep the South from ceceeding and avoid war.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Mr. Brady. The primary goal of this nation is to prevent the Southern secession and the resulting war.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My opinion differs from that of Mr. Horace Greeley in the outcome of recent events. The election of Abraham Lincoln, a strong supporter of the Union and political activist against slavery, is surely a sign of upcoming war. Though I too believe slavery should be abolished, the South should not go with it.

    ReplyDelete