Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Battle of Gettysburg

Finally, a real victory for our Union army! The victory is due at least in part to mistakes made by the Confederate army. It would seem that their successful tactics for defending do not work when they are the ones attacking. This battle could very well end up being the turning point of the war. As I predicted, the change in leadership proved to drastically change our luck in battle. However, the true victory of this battle came four months later when President Lincoln delivered his Gettysburg Address. This speech formally declared what I have been advising Lincoln to do for quite sometime: it promises not just to maintain the Union, but also true equality for all citizens. At last, we can uphold the principles expressed in the Declaration of Independence. "I doubt that our national literature contains a finer gem than that little speech at the Gettysburg celebration, November 19, 1863."


http://rmc.library.cornell.edu/gettysburg/ideas_more/reactions_p3.htm#horace_greeley
Horace Greeley: Founder and Editor of the New York Tribune by William Alexander Linn

2 comments:

  1. This was an excellent win for the Union. The North took control of the South as I have heard. My recent placement near Vicksburg has left me a little out of touch about Gettysburg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do wish I could have been there to see the speech. I've heard it was marvelous. A true moment in history.

    ReplyDelete