Monday, January 26, 2009

The Emancipation Proclamation

Finally, the President has heeded my advice! During my long history of correspondence with President Lincoln, I have always made my views on slavery clear. Only a month ago I published "The Prayer of the Twenty Millions," addressed to the President demanding the emancipation of slaves and a harder stance on the Confederates. The President's reply to my Prayer was printed only three days later, in which he stated that his main goal was to save the Union. "If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that," was his now famous reply.
I believe that the battle at Antietam has pushed the President to present the Emancipation Proclamation, but whatever the reason I could not be happier. "Henceforth and forever, we shall be a free people. It is the beginning of the end of the Rebellion, the beginning of the new life of the nation. God bless Abraham Lincoln!"

Horace Greeley: Champion of American Freedom by Robert C. Williams
http://www.civilwarhome.com/lincolngreeley.htm

3 comments:

  1. No, God bless America!

    I couldn't have done all this alone. The American people above all shall receive all credit. God has heard the cry of the American people. The Union shall reap victory!

    God Bless America and my fellow country men!

    ~President Lincoln

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is good to see a little common sense used. Praise the Lord, and the Good Country!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This country has made progressive leaps and bounds. Nevermore shall my children and my children's children be treated as property or denied the right to freedom. Mr. President has done a miraculous thing.I hope that one day all will study this, so as not to repeat America's mistakes.

    ReplyDelete